The 2012 Edmonton Valley Zoo Summer Animal Olympics!
Date: Sunday July 29, 2012
Help celebrate the 2012 Summer Olympics with the Edmonton Valley Zoo’s Animal Olympics Special Event!
Do if you have what it takes? Amazing Animal Athletics – can you jump as high as a wallaby or lift as much as an elephant – you will have the chance to try! Get your Animal Olympic Passport stamped at each station to win a prize! Visit the Athletes Village Craft Station to make an awesome take-home Olympic Medal craft or check out the Top of the Podium Petting Zoo to say hello to some furry friends. Take a break and enjoy the Olympic Flame Airbrushed Tattoos or enter to win some London 2012 prizes. Learn how to and join the interpretive staff play some “Northern Peoples Games” or help make an amazing animal enrichment treat for some of our Canadian animal friends. Next, watch some of the Edmonton Valley Zoo Staff compete in the Edmonton Valley Staff Olympics and help cheer on your favourite athlete! There will also be a variety of animal encounters and a number of surprises to help keep you in the Olympic spirit. Mark this date in your calendar and plan to attend the 2012 Edmonton Valley Zoo Animal Olympics!
Also, don’t forget to buy a conservation dollar to vote for your favourite animal in the Edmonton Valley Zoo’s Race for Animal of the Year! Will it be Kayok, Rocky, Hula, or Pip?! Listen to a talk about Hula the Harbour Seal and see why you should vote for her!
Activities from noon-4pm inclusive
- Animal Olympic Passport! (Front Entrance) Get your passport stamped at all the Amazing Animal Athletics Stations – once finished take to the Saito Centre to get your name entered for a London 2012 Olympic Prize Pack!
- Amazing Animal Athletics! (Inner Zoo) See if you have what it takes with Amazing Animal Abilities – can you jump as high as a wallaby, lift as much as an elephant, soar like an hawk, or jump as far as a lemur? Get your Olympic passport stamped at each event, take it to the Olympiad Prize centre – win a prize and enter to win a London 2012 Olympic Prize Pack!
- Get Closer! Olympic Animal Encounters (Saito Centre/Inner Zoo) Watch for Roving Interpreters and see what Olympic event these animals compete in!
- Athletes Village Craft Station (Program Tent) Make an awesome take-home Olympic Animal Medal!
- Top of the Podium Petting Zoo (Children’s Petting Zoo) Meet some furry friends!
- Olympic Flame Airbrushed Tattoos (Saito Centre) Visit the Purple Team for fantastic free airbrushed tattoos!
- Olympiad Prize Centre (Saito Centre) Complete your Animal Olympic Passport and get your name entered to win a neat-o London 2012 Olympic prize!
- Olympic Ring Chalk Art (African Veldt) Make some Olympic themed Chalk Art!
- WOW! 2012 YTV Big Fun Tour! (Old Flight Meadow) July 28th & July 29th!
- BEYBLADE is back this year and bigger than ever. This year at WOW!, you can battle it out with BEYBLADE: METAL MASTERS TOPS and you can deploy and destroy with the new BEYBLADE XTS STEALTH BATTLERS TOPS!
- ParaNorman Movie Release – WOW! will be promoting the movie release and be awarding consumers with prizing consisting of movie merchandise. This will be executed through YTV trivia!
- 11am Elephant Talk (Elephant Building) Learn fascinating information about the life of the Elephant. Learn what Lucy might compete in if she attended their very own Animal Olympics!
- noon-1pm Gold Medal Animal Enrichments Making (Saito Centre) Help an interpreter make a Gold Medal Animal enrichment!
- 12:30pm 2:30pm Edmonton Valley Zoo Staff Olympics (Learning Lair) Enjoy watching the Edmonton Valley Zoo Staff compete in the various competitions of our very own Zoo Olympics!
- 1pm Northern Peoples Games (Arctic Shores) Learn how to and join the interpretive staff play some “Northern Peoples Games”
- 1-4pm Meet an Olympic Athlete! (Saito Centre) - Meet Judy Diduck, 1998 Olympic Silver Medalist in Women’s Ice Hockey!
- 1:30pm Gold Medal Animal Enrichment Presentation (Inner/Outer Zoo) Watch as some of our Canadian animals are presented with a Gold Medal Animal Enrichment.
- 2pm Arctic Wolf Talk (Learning Lair – Weather Permitting) All about Arctic Wolves! Get closer to Shilah and Kayok, two female Arctic wolves, as they go on a walk around the zoo. Watch the zookeepers work closely with the wolves and learn why behavioural training is important for animal health. Learn what events they might compete in if they attended their very own Animal Olympics!
For more information:
Edmonton Valley Zoo
13315 Buena Vista Road (87th Avenue)
PO Box 2359
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2R7
|Telephone||In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311