Graffiti is regulated by the Community Standards Bylaw. Graffiti includes any inscription, slogan or drawing placed on a wall or other public surface without the permission of the building's owner.
Graffiti is a Crime
Graffiti is a criminal offence when placed on public or private property without the owner's consent.
Private property owners are required to remove graffiti from their property within a reasonable amount of time.
Buildings and structures should not have graffiti on them that is visible from any surrounding property.
You should call 911 if you witness a graffiti crime in progress.
Keep the exterior of your business clear of graffiti. Tidy walls have a positive effect on your property value and business sales.
The 3Rs of graffiti management are:
- Record: Take photos of the vandalized area and record when it occurred
- Report: Inform the Edmonton Police Service and the City
- Remove: Wash or paint over the graffiti
Reporting Your Concerns
If you have a concern about graffiti:
- Discuss the concern or notify the business owner so they may contact police
- Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the business owner
- Call 311
- Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court
Responding to Your Complaint
After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:
- A file is created specifying your concerns
- A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) opens an investigation
- The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
- The MEO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
- The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
- The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court
Protecting your Privacy
The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.
For more information:
Current Planning Service Centre
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4
Hours of Operation:Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311