Leaving litter, garbage, refuse or other waste material on private or public property makes the city look dirty and unhealthy.
You cannot leave any garbage, litter or other waste in a public place except in a waste can or bin. Property owners are also required to keep the sidewalk or boulevard beside their property clean.
Help Keep Edmonton Clean and Tidy
Capital City Cleanup expanded its focus in 2008 to include not only litter reduction and prevention but graffiti eradication as well. The program was developed by the City of Edmonton to help keep our city clean and attractive.
Through various partnerships we continue to showcase Edmonton as Alberta's Capital City through this concerted effort.
Reporting Your Concerns
If you have a concern about litter:
- Discuss the concern directly with your neighbour
- Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve the problem directly with your neighbour
- Call 311
- Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court
Responding to Your Complaint
After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:
- A file is created specifying your concerns
- A Community Standards Peace Officer (CSPO) opens an investigation
- The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
- The CSPO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame, or issue a $250 fine immediately, depending on the circumstances
- The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
- The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court
Protecting Your Privacy
The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy, visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.
For more information:
Current Planning Service Centre
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311